Friday, July 27, 2012

Hospital Adventure: Day Two.

Well, I can tell you this, life in the hospital is not all that eventful.


Since I was admitted here at Baptist Hospital in Jacksonville, Fl, I have been laying here in bed, in Labor and Delivery. Oh! And Brian surprised me and baby with an adorable Hello Kitty to keep us company while he is gone. ^-^ He is too sweet!

I spent my first night here on an I.V with 12 hours of Magnesium Sulfate to help prevent any contractions that I could begin having; that was not very fun at all and I am so happy it is over with and that it was only for 12 hours and not a full 24 hours! I was not allowed to get up at all throughout the entire 12 hours, had to use a bed pan whenever I had to go to the bathroom (which I was very thankful for being able to go so I didn't have to have a catheter), was not allowed to eat (was allowed ice chips!), and simply could not fall asleep because of how uncomfortable I was with having to lay flat, etc.
The most difficult part of the night was when I had finally been able to move onto my right side and get a little bit of sleep and woke up completely wet. When telling the nurse they had thought that my water had broke so I had to have a pelvic swab done to determine if I was leaking any amniotic fluid; which thankfully I was not. It just turned out being a little bit of spillage from my bed pan...gross, I know. =/ But when you have to go every 3 or 4 hours it is just bound to happen at some point.
I spent a lot of my night trying to sleep, watching the clock/counting down the hours until I was done, and watching exercise informercials. Why are there only ever work out informercials on between the hours of 2 am and 4 am?!
Once I made it to shift change I knew I could make it through the last 3 hours and I did, although I am still not quite sure how I managed! I was so uncomfortable!! I met my doctor on call who explained to me that they will be taking me off of the Magnesium Sulfate because I have not had any contractions at all and that I can be taken off of the I.V (except for my antibiotics) because I am not having any issues with producing fluids. I met my day nurse and then got Brian up and sent him home to get some things done since I was stable and not having any issues.
While he was gone I inhaled my lunch, indulged in bathroom privileges, and was even allowed to give myself a sponge bath; which as disgusting as that sounds, felt amazing! I was given a clean gown, was able to brush my hair and teeth, got clean bedsheets, etc. You never realize how comforting those things are until you can't have them.
During that time one of the NICU doctors had come in and talked to me about what our baby's odds of survival would be if she were to be delivered as of right now. Basically her survival rate would be approximately 88% and she would most likely have lung issues, need fluids via I.Vs, need blood transfusions, and she could have bleeding in her head. Their goal as of right now is to keep me pregnant until 28 weeks and then go from there. I am determined to make it to the 28 weeks and then hopefully from there I can make it to the ideal time of 32 weeks.
I am still being constantly monitored for contractions and am still wearing the compression bandages on my calves. Also, still taking antibiotics to prevent any possible infection and still taking all of my other medications.

I am feeling pretty good now that I am allowed to sit up on occasion, eat, go to the bathroom on my own, etc. I have cable and internet, Brian is here when he isn't taking care of things at home, and I have my cell phone.
Everyone here has been fabulous and very thorough with what they know of is going on. What they have told me is that I could deliver the baby whenever and they are trying to prevent it and are trying to keep me pregnant as long as possible.
So, that is pretty much all I can tell as of today. :)



Just keeping positive and trying to get all of the rest that I can in order to keep this little nugget in the oven several weeks longer. Aiming for that 28 weeks as of right now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment