Monday, May 27, 2013

Getting Crafty With DailyCraft TV!

During this holiday weekend, I was given the opportunity to review one of Daily Craft TV's scrapbooking videos.
Daily Craft TV is a website dedicated to giving you fun instructional videos related to various hobbies. Such hobbies include crochet, knitting, sewing, and my personal favorite, scrapbooking!!
In my spare time (what?! spare time?? what is this???) or more so when I HAVE spare time, I really enjoy scrapbooking and have been working on a scrapbook of Avalyn's first year.
Since Ava was born I knew that I wanted to try to document all of her monthly milestones and fun firsts in the form of a scrapbook so that she could have something to look back at once she is older. I can't wait for her to be able to really see how much she has over come since the moment she came into this world.
I bet you are wondering, "Why scrapbook when you have everything here in your  blog?"
My answer is simply this, I love being able to physically share things with my friends and family. I love sitting somewhere with my loved ones and reminiscing and I think that one of the best ways of doing so is by sharing photos and the stories that accompany them! And I want to use my scrapbooks for that reason.
So you can only imagine how excited I was when I was contacted by DailyCraft TV and asked to review one of their scrapbooking videos!
I had a difficult time trying to decide which video to review because they all sounded like so much fun! But the video that really caught my attention was the "Scrapbooking with Surprise Supplies Class".  It was not an easy decision considering I wanted to try out everything, but the reason I did go with the surprise supplies class is because of the opportunity to find and use supplies I already have on hand...in my kitchen!
That is right!
You can scrapbook using things such as doilies and cupcake liners!
How awesome is that?!
You have the option of following along using the designated supplies kit for the video or using what you already have on hand. I opted to just follow along and use items that I already had here; so my end result looks much different than the layout used in the video. But after you obtain the supplies needed; whether it be through ordering the kit or by scavenging your kitchen for the supplies, you will be ready to follow along!
The video was just over an hour long and I had to break it up into segments throughout the weekend due to having a very cranky and teething child who wanted nothing but Mommy's full attention. But that did not pose a problem at all whatsoever because I had the ability to pause the video and come back to it as many times as I needed to! I really loved having this option!
This particular video came with instructions for two different layouts and I made my own layout using the techniques from the first layout. (I was really excited to learn that there were two layout options!) I worked mainly from the first layout because I had most of the supplies for it already on hand.
In the video, our instructor, Annette Hardy goes through all of the various supplies and techniques used to create a beautiful layout for our scrapbook. As she was going through the supplies kit, I became very intrigued by a product called, "spray mist". I was not very familiar with this product and had to make an impromptu trip to my local craft store to see if I could get my hands on this product.
Fortunately I was able to find the Tattered Angels brand in the color, "Cork". I found this particular color to be very suitable for the theme of my page. I was very excited to put this shimmer mist to good use and I really enjoyed how Annette walked me through how to use the mist properly and how not to "freak out" when I was using it on my doilies (she was not kidding when she said those things will curl up!).
As the video progresses, you learn how to create a nice layout using different prints of paper. I was very envious of the Amy Tangerine scrapbook paper that Annette was using from the kit! I fell in love with the yellow chevron print that she used! If you all know me, you will know that I am OBSESSED with chevron! Annette does a wonderful job explaining how to cut our paper and how to put them together to form a layout that just flows really nicely.
The one thing that I really loved in this video is the unique things you can do with a doily! I never would have guessed that I could make an adorable little flower made from a doily. I am not going to lie, I did have to work on this flower for a few minutes to get it to resemble a flower; I think I had a difficult time with this because my doily was much smaller than what was used in the video. But in the end I was really happy with how it looked.


Here is my finished page (I was only able to get half of the layout finished):


I went with a "Beach Day" theme in honor of Avalyn's first day at the beach! I used paper from a paper kit that I had received at Christmas time. My doilies were much smaller than the ones used in the video, but I still think they turned out quite nicely! I love that spray mist on them! It reminds me of the sand on the beach. 


Isn't this such an awesome idea?! I never would have thought that you could create such adorable embellishments using household items. The sea shell was used in place of a button because I thought it fit the theme perfectly; plus it is a shell that Avalyn's grandma found so it holds a little bit of sentimental value. :)
I really wish I would have had some cupcake liners on hand because in the second layout Annette shows us how to create lovely flowers using the liners. I will definitely be using this technique in the future!

Overall I was very impressed with the techniques shown and how well the video itself was put together. The instructor was very knowledgeable and I definitely learned how much fun scrapbooking can be when you have someone to guide you further into the world of paper crafts. 
I look forward to checking out some of the other videos available for scrapbooking and am also very interested in checking out the crochet and sewing videos as well! 

If you have a soft spot for crafting, I would most definitely recommend Daily Craft TV! 

Visit Daily Craft Tv now for online crafting classes! 








P.S. This was my very first review so please let me know how I did! :) 




















No comments:

Post a Comment