Monday, June 4, 2012

Eighteen Weeks


We have made it through to the eighteenth week and boy has it been an emotional start to a week! If it hasn't been dealing with Brian's work schedule it is dealing with some other stress promoter. 
We were supposed to be finding out the gender of our baby today, or so we thought. I guess when I called to reschedule my appointment I didn't specify that I need not only the visit with the midwife rescheduled, but the ultrasound as well. So the office had assumed I wanted to keep my ultrasound for the date it was already scheduled for and if that were the case, I would have just left everything how it was. Not only did I feel like a complete idiot while sitting there on the table, I was freaking out about the possibility of Brian not being able to attend the ultrasound on Thursday. 
Thankfully he called work right away and informed them of the mix up and he is scheduled off for Thursday. I just really hope that the schedule doesn't change because this is the one appointment I do not want him to miss. I suppose if it comes down to it, I will reschedule the u/s for a Thursday (since we were informed today that they only do these specific sonograms on Thursdays because they bring someone up from the Women's Hospital in Jacksonville) that he is off. 
Of course I was frustrated and upset with my own mistake but hey, it happens to the best of us, right? And I have waited this long, so what is another two days? 
On the bright side the rest of the appointment went fairly well and I did get a few answers to some of my concerns. First of all, my ears being plugged/feeling clogged and my "cold" is due to allergies; so I was prescribed Claritin (yes, I know, you can get it over the counter, but come on, why do that when I can go onto base with a prescription and get it free of charge?!) and was told that it will help with my congestion and what not. I was told I can also take Sudafed as needed. I will also be continuing my Neti Pot treatments to help get all of that gunk out of my sinuses. If you have not tried a Neti Pot before, I would definitely recommend using one BEFORE you give in to those allergy pills! Before I was pregnant that was all I had to do to prevent these little colds; it is seriously the best at home remedy I have ever used! This mama-to-be will be feeling more like herself in no time!
I also learned that the slight swelling in my feet (and a little bit in my hands) will not go away completely until after pregnancy. My midwife said that unfortunately with my expanding belly and weight combined with Georgia's heat and humidity, the swelling will always be there. I guess that it just comes with being pregnant...yay...shoe shopping is going to be that much more difficult now. =/ Honestly, I would probably be much more content just walking around bare foot, but Brian seems to have an issue with that and I suppose I shouldn't argue with him. 
As far as my other little pregnancy conditions, I was told to stretch my legs before bed, get more calcium in my system (whether it be from Tums or milk, they don't care as long as I am getting it), eat Tomatoes for that extra potassium, and to use Miralax for any bathroom issues. That last bit of information made Brian and I laugh because we give our cat, Cody, Miralax for his bathroom issues! I guess it was just an inside joke. 
Goodness, I am going to be a walking pharmacy! 
We were able to hear baby's heart beat again and this time it was down to 141; which I believe is still within girl range because of it being above 140 bpm? Either way, it was wonderful to hear. It always reassures me that everything is ok in there. 
After we got home and I had my little breakdown from being upset over my mistake, Brian and I just laid in bed for a little while so I could calm down; I just needed to cry and then listen to the silence with him there next to me. As we were laying there, my little baby starting moving around as if to tell me, "Hey! I'm still in here and I'm not going anywhere any time soon, so cheer up and turn that frown upside down!". I couldn't believe how much I was feeling him or her move! Their little "kicks" have definitely gotten stronger since the last time I really felt them and it feels as if the "flutters" are turning into little tiny jabs; almost as if they were poking me from the inside. I can just imagine it being something along the lines of how I poke our cats, *poke* "HEY!" *poke, poke* "HEY!". Then I thought that because they felt so much stronger that just maybe Brian would be able to feel, so I placed his hand on my belly and we waited in silence; almost to the point of holding our breathes. A few seconds later I felt a little jab and the look on Brian's face was epic. I can't quite describe it, but I asked him if he felt that and he said "I don't know, maybe. I'm not sure. It could have been your heart beat though." I am pretty convinced he felt our baby and that is an incredible feeling. I told him not to worry because if he is unsure of what he felt we will just keep on trying until he is sure. 
So despite this roller coaster of emotions kind of day we have had, everything turned out to be ok. Yeah we have our struggles, but like Brian always tells me, "Everything will be ok." and he is right. No matter how crappy the situation may seem, whatever it is, we always get through it and everything is ok. We always get through it.
Everything will be ok. 

How far along? 18 weeks
Total weight gain: 5+ pounds; I asked the nurse not to tell me how much weight I had gained in a month since I have been feeling extra glum about the way my body is looking these days. 
Maternity clothes?  Wearing some maternity clothes and a few things from my pre-pregnancy wardrobe. 
Stretch marks? Yes. 
Sleep: Still not sleeping very well due to allergies/cold/etc. 
Best moment of this week? Hearing baby's heart beat. 
Miss anything? Miss having certain stores within a 15 minute car ride away.
Movement: Every now and then I feel the occasional flutter-like jab. 
Food cravings? Angelo's Pizza, yum! Biscuits and Gravy.
Anything making you queasy or sick? The smell of eggs makes me a little nauseous. 
Gender: To be determined; but we are thinking boy!
Labor signs: None.
Symptoms: My fingers and feet are starting to swell up a little bit and my belly is starting to itch more and more. 
Belly button in or out? In.
Wedding rings on or off? I can still wear all of them except my thumb ring, but they are starting to become difficult to take off. 
Happy or moody most of the time? Been kind of emotional; anxious, nervous, some irritation towards certain people, etc. 
Looking forward to: Determining baby's gender and the month of August when we can finally go home! 





No comments:

Post a Comment