Saturday, August 11, 2012

Hospital/Bed Rest Survival Guide

Before I was hospitalized I had been beginning to research what to pack in my hospital bag and when I was admitted without having any time at all to pack anything, I thought to myself, what did those lists say?? 
During the hustle and bustle of the admitting, transferring, and readmitting process I had to create a quick list to give to my husband so he knew what to bring to the hospital for us. At the time, we had no idea we were going to become "permanent residents". 
Over the period of 16 days we finally have everything we need to feel comfortable here in our new home away from home. It took several trips home to finally get everything we needed.  
So, let me give you the grand tour and explain what is ESSENTIAL to have during your stay in the hospital.

The Bathroom: 


1. Toothpaste: Obviously this is one of the first things you think to bring when you are staying overnight (or for several weeks) anywhere. 

2. Toothbrushes: See above.

3. Contact solution/case and glasses: If your significant other needs these things to see, make sure they bring them with!

4. Hand mirror: I don't mean to sound absolutely disgusting, but your downstairs does some funky stuff while you are pregnant and you have to monitor it 24/7 because if you can't answer your doctors and nurses questions in regards to that part of your body...you are in trouble...they will start looking for you. It is completely normal and trust me, you will go through some strange changes the closer you get to your third trimester. Also, my expanding belly has made it difficult to see things without a mirror...so have one just in case! 



5. Toilet paper: BRING YOUR OWN T.P!!! I can not stress this enough! The hospital's toilet paper feels like sand paper and it will irritate your precious cargo. Also, have wet wipes "toilet paper" on hand too just in case  you develop hemorrhoids or start to develop them (and you will because being pregnant and on bed rest is like the plague for your digestion). 

6. Feminine liners: Like I said earlier, your downstairs starts to do some strange things when you reach the end of your second trimester/beginning of your third trimester. Like all of the books and websites say, you will have an increase in discharge...yay...ooh the lovely joys of pregnancy! Just get some cheapie ones and use them as needed. Oh, and sending your husband to the store for them will result in the cashier asking him what the heck he needs them for. Ha! I about died when he told me about that little experience. 




7. Flip flops: I would recommend wearing these while in the shower because you never know what the heck could be living on that shower floor. I know, you hear "hospital" and thing "sterile"...WRONG! My previous bathroom had MOLD in it!! Just play it safe and put them on! You won't regret it, I promise.

8. Loofah: If you use a loofah, bring it because the hospital's wash cloths feel awful on your skin. If you don't use a loofah, bring your own wash cloths. 

9. Razor and face wash: If you know you are going to be in the hospital for awhile and you don't want to feel embarrassed over your furry legs and other various parts, bring a razor so you can shave as needed. Face wash is part of my shower routine, so that is why I brought it with me. 

10. Shampoo/Conditioner and Body wash: These are obvious because they are essential for a shower. If you don't use body wash, I would start while in the hospital; I couldn't imagine actually using that soap holder for a bar of soap. Although I guess if you had your own holder it wouldn't be too bad. Also, if you know you won't be in for as long as I have been, travel sizes are definitely easier to pack versus the full size products. 

(Not pictured)
11. Towels: Bring your own towels because if you couldn't tell by the tiny white towel on the floor, the hospital's towels are TINY and not anywhere near large enough to cover a pregnant tummy. Also, they aren't soft and smell strongly of bleach. You will feel much more comfortable in your own towels. 

12. House Coat/Robe and Slippers: These are really nice to have if your room does not have curtains by the bathroom vanity (our new room does, but the previous ones did not). The bathrooms themselves are pretty small and make it really difficult to get dressed in, especially if you have to have someone in the bathroom to help you (I had to have Brian help me the first few days I was here because I was on "watch"). It is much easier to pull the house coat and slippers on after drying off and walk out to your bed to get your clothes and not worry about anyone seeing you. Also, it is helpful when all you have to wear are hospital gowns! It keeps your behind covered! Oh, and always wear slippers around the room because like I said, you never know what could be lurking on the floors. 


The "Bedroom":

1. Gifts: If any of your visitors come bearing gifts, make sure that you display them in a spot where you can always see them. It helps brighten your mood from time to time. :) This table is at the foot of my bed. 

2. Hand sanitizer: You are in a hospital, get used to using this stuff! Plus, when your baby arrives and you start having more visitors, they NEED to use it before laying hands on your child. We brought ours from home because I didn't like the hospital's, but if you forget to bring some that is ok because there is always some nearby (in our case, there is a wall mount by the door for nurses and doctors to use). It also comes in handy when you get up at 3am to go to the bathroom and are in zombie mode. I don't know about you, but when I am in zombie mode I usually forget to wash my hands, so on my way back to the bed I just grab a quick pump of this and am good to go. 

3. Pillows: Definitely bring your own pillows! The hospital's pillows go flat so fast that you won't even know what hit you. Plus their pillow cases are starched so they aren't very comfortable. Also, if you have a body pillow at home, bring it with you! It is definitely the only reason I can get comfy enough to get any sleep. Plus it gives my lower back support when I am on the monitors or sitting on the laptop. If you know you will be delivering your baby soon and have one, bring your nursing pillow! I have hear the nurses talking about how helpful they are. 

4. Electronics: Bring your cell phone so you can keep family and friends updated via text messages or phone calls and bring your laptop for keeping busy. Take advantage of the hospital's free wifi too! Brian even brought his PS3 and hooked it up to the t.v in the room. 

5. Sheets: If you know that you will be in the hospital for more than a couple of days, bring your own sheets. Not only are they more comfortable than the hospital's, but it helps bring a little bit of home to you. 

6. Food: Having food to snack on is nice, especially since you will get sick of eating hospital food. Now if you are in the hospital to deliver your baby, I would check to make sure what kind of diet they have you on. Because I am on a regular diet, I am allowed to eat whatever I want. 

7. Reading material: Definitely a must have! Reading books, magazines, blogs, etc. will definitely help cure some of the boredom you may develop while in the hospital. I am currently reading the popular, "50 Shades of Grey" book (definitely writing a review on this as soon as I finish!). 

8. Toiletries: I keep the rest of my toiletries in the top drawer of my nightstand. Things like Q-tips, cotton balls, tweezers, etc.

9. Candy stash: I am not saying you have to have a stash of candy, but I am always craving sweet things and hard candies. 




Hubby's Area:

1. Reusable Bags/Cooler: We use the bags for dirty laundry and we had the cooler because our previous room did not have a mini-refrigerator. Not necessarily essentials, but always nice to have if you are going to be hospitalized for awhile. 

2. Pillows: You wouldn't make your significant other use those awful hospital pillows would you?!

3. Blankets: He uses blankets from home because the hospital's are just too scratchy and thin. I don't use anything to cover up with (thank you hot flashes!) so these would be strictly for your sig. other so they are comfortable. 

(Not Pictured)
4. Clothes: This one is a given. Hubby likes clean clothes just as much as the next guy! So make sure he has some clothes to wear and sleep in. 


Rest of the Room:

1. Beverages: Unless you have the money to get something out of the vending machine every time you are thirsty or you can drink water, juice, and milk (provided) I would recommend bringing your own drinks. Brian brought jugs of sweet tea and Mountain Dew. 

2. Food: Again, as long as you are not on a strict diet, bring your own food! Your sig. other will thank you for it later! Plus it is a lot cheaper than eating at the hospital's cafeteria. If your room comes with a mini-refrigerator, keep things like lunch meat and cheese in there so you can make a sandwich. I also have ice cream in the little freezer. Yum! 

(Not Pictured)
3. Entertainment: If you know that your room has a DVD player, bring some of your favorite movie! It always helps pass the time. I also have a giant coloring book (you are never too old for one of those!) and like I had mentioned before, our PS3. 

4. Journal: If you are a writer, keeping a journal of your hospital stay always helps with any mixed emotions you may be going through. I have a journal with letters to my baby, talking about different milestones in my pregnancy, etc. I plan on giving it to her when she is older. Plus, it passes the time. 

5. Organizer/Check Book: This is definitely handy when you are staying in the hospital for more than a couple of days. Without my organizer, our bills would not get paid on time. Too bad the bills don't stop while you are gone! This helps me plan on what bills need to be mailed, what bills get paid online, what events are coming up (birthdays, etc). It basically helps me keep track of time and our life on the outside of the hospital. 

Miscellaneous:

1. Back massager: I would seriously recommend having one of these with you! If you are in labor, I have heard that they help with that lower back pain and it also helps with any other aches and pain you may experience from being in a bed all day and all night. It isn't hard to convince your sig. other to use it on your back either...just remember to say please and thank you!

2. Facial cleansing wipes: This is kind of a preference thing, but I would recommend having them. My first few days in the hospital I was not allowed to get up to shower, so I used these wipes to keep my face clean. Say Yes to Cucumbers Cleansing Wipes are my favorite! Not only do they clean your face but they smell amazing!

3. Hairbrush: You will want to look somewhat groomed (a difficult task when you are in a bed 24/7) so bring a brush. Also, bring hair ties! You will always want to keep your hair off of your face, especially when you constantly have nurses poking at you and you are having hot flashes. Hot flashes + hair down = crabby momma! 

4. Lotion: Bring your favorite lotion and use it! The familiar smells of my daily routine (before being admitted) are really comforting and help make the stay a little more tolerable. Plus your skin will get dry (my legs and feet especially!) and will beg you for some moisture!

5. Dry shampoo: Saved my life during those days I wasn't allowed to get up and shower. Also good when you need to freshen up for some visitors and don't have time to hop in the shower. 

6. Deodorant: Really? Do I need to explain this one???

7. Facial moisturizer: If you have skin like mine, you will need this regardless of where you are staying. Not an essential, but it is part of my facial cleansing routine; which is why I have it.

(Not Pictured)
8. Chapstick: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have chapstick! Your lips will thank you for it later! I have almost gone through an entire tube of chapstick in the time that I have been here. (My favorite is Burt's Bees Replenishing Lip Balm w/ Pomegranate Oil ;) Brian's is Burt's Bees Medicated Lip Balm...yes my hubby is awesome like that because he keeps chapstick on him! He always has super soft lips because of it!). 

9. Suitcase/s with clothes: I know I had mentioned clothes earlier for the hubby, but forgot to mention them for myself. Bring some clothes from home so you don't have to be in those awful hospital gowns! I have shorts, sweatpants, t-shirts, and a few maternity shirts (for when I go upstairs for ultrasounds). You may as well feel comfortable while you are here!! 

10. Personal Belongings: I would recommend having all of your debit/credit cards, I.Ds, and insurance cards with you because you never know when you may need them. OH! And keep some change with you as well just in case you ever crave a soda...like me...

11. Baby's things: Now we have not had a baby shower yet so we don't have much of anything for our baby when she arrives. We do have two outfits for her if she is born prematurely. I would advise bringing with you everything you need for baby if you KNOW that you are going to be delivering. For example: a few outfits, pacifiers (if not provided), breastfeeding essentials (if not provided), cloth diapers (if hospital will allow you to use them), nursing pillow, etc. 

12. Camera: DUH!!! 


So, there you have it! Those are some of the essentials that I would definitely recommend having with you during your hospital stay, whether it be to deliver your baby or if you are on bed rest. The hospital becomes your home away from home, so why not make it as comfortable as possible? Now, obviously I do not know what else would be needed after delivering a baby considering I have not delivered mine yet. But, when that time comes, I have almost everything I need. I plan on making another post after baby is born to help cover anything that may have been missed in this post. :)
I hope that this was at least somewhat helpful to some of my friends who are mommies-to-be. <3 If not, I hope you at least had fun reading about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment